Critical thinking revision
What is an argument?
- An attempt to persuade someone of a point of view by using reasoning. It is made up of three parts:
- Reason – a cause that makes something happen & answers the question ‘why…?’
- Conclusion – a result or judgement that has been caused by the reason. It doesn’t always mean the final point in a written passage.
- An element of persuasion – something that tries to influence you into believing or doing something.
DON’T BE MISLEAD – other forms of language can sometimes be included to confuse you:
- Opinion – a statement of what someone thinks or believes. It is not based on fact that can be tested.
- Assertion – an attempt to persuade but doesn’t include reasons. It is an opinion with an element of persuasion, e.g. ‘you should do this.’
- Explanation – a statement that includes at least one reason and a conclusion but doesn’t include an element of persuasion, e.g. ‘my critical thinking class has both sexes in it because my teacher wants us to have discussions from both perspectives.’
- Indicator words and phrases – help the reader to identify a particular part of an argument.
- Conclusion indicator words – act like a signal to tell us which phrase or sentence is the conclusion of the argument. E.g. therefore, so, as a result, consequently, which proves that, this means that, it follows that, thus, hence, etc.
- Sometimes indicator words are not present so you need to:
-Find the phrase or sentence that you think represents the overall point of view the writer wants you to accept.
-Try putting an indicator word like ‘therefore’ or ‘so’ immediately before this phrase or sentence to see if it makes sense.
- A reason is a rational statement that aims to persuade the reader to accept a conclusion
- Reason indicator words include:
-For the reason that, seeing that, as, because, in view of the fact that, seeing as, since, given that, etc.
- Indicator words that link reasons include:
-In addition, also, as well as, etc.
Counter assertions and counter arguments
- Counter assertion - a statement (or claim) that goes against the main conclusion of the argument
- Counter argument – a complete mini-argument that opposes the main conclusion of the argument – it includes all three elements of an argument.
- The main difference between counter assertions is that counter arguments include a reason / some reasons
- Counter arguments and counter assertions are included so that they can be made to look weak. This, in turn, strengthens the whole argument.
- Evidence – used to develop, strengthen or support a reason in an argument. It is usually in the form of numbers and the data can be from research, surveys, statistical calculations, etc.
NOTE: the numerical reference can be qualitative, e.g. ‘in a survey most people preferred to shop at Tesco’ – this is still evidence even though…
As critical thinking revision notes
As-level critical thinking ocr complete revision & practice inc exam practice cd this all-in-one book is packed with brilliant revision and practice for as critical. Critical thinking revision notesbuy custom papershomework diariesprofessional dissertation writingessay writing services reviews. Critical thinking revision notes - all kinds of writing services & custom essays receive a 100% original, plagiarism-free paper you could only imagine about in our. Get the best grades with my revision notes: ocr as/a2 critical thinking manage your own revision with step-by-step support from experienced author jill swale. Amazoncom: ocr as/a-level critical thinking (exams revision notes) (9780340946183): jill swale: books. A statement by michael scriven & richard paul, presented at the 8th annual international conference on critical thinking and education reform, summer 1987 critical.
Download and read my revision notes ocr as a2 critical thinking my revision notes ocr as a2 critical thinking find loads of the book catalogues in this site as the. Critical thinking revision notes as level critical thinkers listen up, here’s your one stop shop for revision notes and guides to flaws for your exams this year. Ocr critical thinking unit 1 notes, skip to content strapmastersusa toggle navigation ocr critical thinking unit 2 revision notes. Critical thinking revision know a lot of people don't revise for it, i just want to know how much revision is needed to get a good grade in critical thinking.
Critical thinking revision notes ocr are not thinking on dr oz garcinia brand from elementsgarciniacom , new york elementsgarciniacom the persuasive essay about. Peter goldenib business & management encourage active learning and critical thinking group 4 ib students’ favourite revision margin notes offer.
I have 6 exams total in january: maths c1, c2, s1 biology unit 1 chemistry unit 1 critical thinking unit 1 argh so far i've only revised for maths, biolo. Ocr as critical thinking revision unit 2 as level critical thinking student unit guide unit f alevel critical thinking exam revision notes free.
- Home a level and ib critical thinking critical thinking - unit 1: introduction to critical thinking - revision notes on terms and concepts.
- Download and read my revision notes ocr as a2 critical thinking my revision notes ocr as a2 critical thinking why should wait for some days to get or receive the my.
Thanks for posting we just need to check something in your message and will publish it as soon as we can. If your company takes such a serious position towards proper grammar then i think you guys are in the ocr as critical thinking revision notes wrong profession.
Rated 5/5 based on 21 review