1. Martikainen P, Lahelma E, Marmot M. et al A comparison of socioeconomic differences in physical functioning and perceived health among male and female employees in Britain, Finland and Japan. Soc Sci Med 2004591287–1295. [PubMed]
2. Navarro V, Borrell C, Benach J. et al The importance of the political and the social in explaining mortality differentials among the countries of the OECD, 1950–1998. Intl J Health Serv 200333419–494. [PubMed]
3. Navarro V, Muntaner C, Borrell C. et al Politics and health outcomes. Lancet 20063681033–1037. [PubMed]
4. Navarro V, Shi L. The political context of social inequalities and health. Intl J Health Serv 2001311–21. [PubMed]
5. Raphael D, Bryant T. The welfare state as a determinant of women's health: support for women's quality of life in Canada and four comparison nations. Health Policy 20046863–79. [PubMed]
6. Dahl E, Fritzell J, Lahelma E. et al Welfare state regimes and health inequalities. In: Siegrist J, Marmot M, eds. Social inequalities in health. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006193–222.
7. Chung H, Muntaner C. Welfare state matters: a typological multilevel analysis of wealthy countries. Health Policy 200780328–339. [PubMed]
8. Coburn D. Beyond the income inequality hypothesis: class, neo‐liberalism, and health inequalities. Soc Sci Med 20045841–56. [PubMed]
9. Conley D, Springer K. Welfare state and infant mortality. Am J Sociol 2001107768–807. [PubMed]
10. Bambra C. Health status and the worlds of welfare. Soc Policy Society 2006553–62.
11. Clarke A, McCarthy M, Alavarez‐Dardet C. et al New directions in European public health research: report of a workshop. J Epidemiol Community Health 200761194–197. [PMC free article][PubMed]
12. Bambra C, Fox D, Scott‐Samuel A. Towards a politics of health. Health Promot Int 200520187–193. [PubMed]
13. Esping‐Andersen G. The three worlds of welfare capitalism. London: Polity, 1990
14. Bambra C. Decommodification and the worlds of welfare revisited. J Eur Soc Policy 20061673–80.
15. Bambra C. Sifting the wheat from the chaff: a two‐dimensional discriminant analysis of welfare state regime theory. Soc Policy Adm 2007411–28.
16. Bambra C. Defamilisation and welfare state regimes: a cluster analysis. Int J Soc Welfare. Published Online First: 26 February 2007. doi: 10.1111/j.1468‐2397.2007.00486.x
17. Bonoli J. Classifying welfare states: a two‐dimension approach. J Soc Policy 199726351–372.
18. Ferrera M. The southern model of welfare in social Europe. J Eur Soc Policy 1996617–37.
19. Leibfreid S. Towards a European welfare state. In: Ferge Z, Kolberg JE, eds. Social policy in a changing Europe. Frankfurt: Campus‐Verlag, 1992245–279.
20. Abrahamson P. The welfare modelling business. Soc Policy Adm 199933394–415.
21. Arts W, Gelissen J. Three worlds of welfare or more? J Eur Soc Policy 200212137–158.
22. Castles F, Mitchell D. Worlds of welfare and families of nations. In: Castles F, ed. Families of nations: patterns of public policy in western democracies. Aldershot: Dartmouth 199393–128.
23. Pierson C. Beyond the Welfare State. London: Polity, 1998
24. Aspalter C. The East Asian welfare model. Int J Soc Welfare 200615290–301.
25. Bambra C. The worlds of welfare: illusory and gender blind? Soc Policy Society 20043201–212.
26. Bambra C. Worlds of welfare and the health care discrepancy. Soc Policy Society 2005431–41.
27. Bambra C. Cash versus services: ‘worlds of welfare' and the decommodification of cash benefits and health care services. J Soc Policy 200534195–213.
28. Croissant A. Changing welfare regimes in east and southeast Asia: crisis, change and challenge. Soc Policy Adm 200438504–524.
29. Esping‐Andersen G. Social foundations of post‐industrial economies. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999
30. Kautto M. Investing in services in West European welfare states. J Eur Soc Policy 20021253–65.
31. Korpi W. Faces of inequality: gender, class and patterns of inequalities in different types of welfare states. Soc Polit 20007127–191.
32. Korpi W, Palme J. The paradox of redistribution and the strategy of equality: welfare state institutions, inequality and poverty in the Western countries. Am Sociol Rev 199863662–687.
33. Lewis J. Gender and the development of welfare regimes. J Eur Soc Policy 19922195–211.
34. Sainsbury D. Gendering welfare states. London: Sage Publications, 1994
35. Sainsbury D. Gender, policy regimes and politics. In: Sainsbury D, ed. Gender and welfare state regimes. Oxford: Oxford University Press 1999000–000.
36. Siaroff A. Work, welfare and gender equality: a new typology. In: Sainsbury D, ed. Gendering welfare states. London: Sage Publications 1994245–276.
37. Walker A, Wong C. East Asian welfare regimes in transition: from Confucianism to globalisation. Bristol: Policy Press, 2005
38. Kasza G. The illusion of welfare regimes. J Soc Policy 200231271–287.
39. Kangas O. The politics of social security: on regressions, qualitative comparisons and cluster analysis. In: Janoski T, Hicks A, eds. The comparative political economy of the welfare state. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1994346–365.
40. Ragin C. A qualitative comparative analysis of pension systems. In: Janoski T, Hicks A, eds. The comparative political economy of the welfare state. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 1994320–345.
41. Pitruzello S. Decommodification and the Worlds of Welfare Capitalism: a cluster analysis. Florence: European University Institute, 1999
42. Fawcett H, Papadopoulos T. Social exclusion, social citizenship and decommodification: an evaluation of the adequacy of support for the unemployed in the European Union. West Eur Polit 1997201–30.
43. Scruggs L, Allan J. Welfare state decommodification in eighteen OECD countries: a replication and revision. J Eur Soc Policy 20061655–72.
44. Whitehead M, Burström B, Diderichsen F. Social policies and the pathways to inequalities in health: a comparative analysis of lone mothers in Britain and Sweden. Soc Sci Med 200050255–270. [PubMed]
45. Bartley M. Blane D. Socioeconomic determinants of health: health and the life course: why safety nets matter. BMJ 19973141194–1196. [PMC free article][PubMed]